We just wanted to take this opportunity to update our followers and customers on the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Many of you are most likely very aware of the disrupted reality which we are currently living in. COVID-19 has spread throughout the globe since the end of 2019. It is fast-moving and has deathly potential for many worldwide. Staying informed and up-to-date on the virus is crucial. We all need to work together to combat COVID-19 and prevent its further spread.
How does this affect us at Hannah Lavery?
- We are based in Cape Town, South Africa. On Sunday the 15th of March the nation was addressed by our president Cyril Ramaphosa. The president declared the pandemic a state of disaster in terms of the Disaster Management Act.
- On the 23rd of March, our president announced a nationwide lockdown that has been implemented since midnight on the 26th of March. This lockdown is aimed at lasting 21 days. Until the lockdown is complete, all nonessential businesses will be closed.
- As a result, our Parkhurst shop and Watershed store have closed. Our courier company is also closed during this time and will not be operational until the lockdown is complete. However, our online shop is fully functional and we are able to process all online orders. All online orders will be ready for dispatch as soon as the lockdown is complete!
- Our online store is currently our only income stream during this time. We have a team of about twenty people who all rely on this income to support themselves and their families. Your online purchases and support during this time are hugely appreciated. We will be rolling out new rewards systems and discounts for customers who are able to support us during this time so that we can in the future thank you again. We are working alongside other local brands to help one another in these areas and once these have been implemented we will update all of our customers too.
- All online orders are handled with caution and the necessary hygiene levels. Courier services are not operating currently but have ensured us that they are taking every necessary precaution to keep their staff, you and your order safe. It has been discussed at length that the likelihood of contracting the virus from a mailed package is near zero. Online shopping has been encouraged as one of the safest ways for many to shop, especially those at higher risk.
What is COVID-19?
- COVID-19 is a virus strain. The virus has spread worldwide and is being closely monitored by health experts globally. Little is known about the virus but it has the potential to cause severe illness in some people.
How does COVID-19 spread?
- COVID-19 is primarily spread through respiratory droplets of someone who is contagious and comes into contact with another. It may be possible to contact COVID-19 through touching a surface or object which the virus has been on, and then proceeding to touch your own mouth, eyes or nose. The symptoms appear within two to fourteen days after exposure.
There is a lot of information currently being shared on multiple platforms and it can be very overwhelming for many. Below are a few links that you can click through to read and inform yourself further on the virus, its spread and the necessary preventative measures in place.
- The World Health Organisation has constant updates on their website with necessary diagnosis information, treatments, and preventative measures. (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019)
- You can track the COVID-19 virus online through the Centre for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins’s website. (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html)
It is vital during the spread of the viral infection that you remain aware of your surroundings and those with whom you are in contact with. Preventative measures are in place to help not only you but those around you. While your immune system may be strong enough to fight the virus, many around us do not have the same luxury. Consider isolating yourself from others to prevent further contracting and passing on COVID-19.
What can you do to best protect yourself? Practice the following:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face and close contact with others.
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell. This protects you from contracting the virus as well as passing it on to others.
- Cover your mouth or nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Maintain a good level of cleanliness in your environment. Be this at work or home.
Times are very unsettling right now for many of us. Please remember to follow the preventative guidelines shared with us on multiple platforms, and aim to maintain high hygiene standards. If you have any concerns or would like to chat with our Team please contact us. We are all available, working from home and are here to help you where we can! We appreciate your support and understanding during these times.